Unlike jetting off on a sunny break, travelling for business comes with extra pressure. You’re in a work mindset, you need to stay ‘on email’ and be fresh enough to hit the ground running at your destination.
Taking a taxi to the airport is a great time to be productive , so use it to prep for your business trip. Download the airline’s app to check in if you haven’t already, and double-check you have your passport, too – it’s easily forgotten when your head is full of work.
Next, familiarise yourself with the travel itinerary, especially if it’s been booked on your behalf by your company. Many landing cards for countries outside Europe ask for the address of your first night’s stay, so note the details somewhere accessible. Email a copy of the itinerary to your assistant or colleague, as well as a family member, so everyone knows where you are.
Taking a Gett taxi to your chosen airport will have you off to a flying start, but that’s just the first step. Ensure your departures experience runs just as smoothly with our highlights of the best business services at London’s top airports.
– Lots of lounges. In London’s biggest and busiest airport, every terminal (except T1) has multiple lounges to choose from. Two of the best? T4’s SkyTeam Lounge has a dedicated business area and day beds overlooking the airfields. Over in T5, the airy Aspire Lounge offers business facilities, WiFi, complimentary food and drink and great runway views.
– An office away from the office. Whether it’s for training, interviews or a conference, it can be convenient to meet clients at the airport. Regus Business Lounges (T2, 3 and 5) offer private meeting rooms with all the business mod-cons, including high-speed internet and videoconferencing.
– Escape the bustle of departures. Whatever time you fly, you’ll be hard pushed to find somewhere peaceful in Stansted’s busy departures lounge, which can make remote working tricky. Instead, make a beeline for the aptly named Escape Lounge, where you’ll find a much quieter ambience for working.
– Breeze through security. Upgrade to Security FastTrack to access an express lane that whizzes you through the security checks. Time is money, after all. In this case, it’s £7 for the time-saving add-on.
– Extensive business facilities. Drop into South Terminal’s Regus Express Business Lounge to use the workspaces, showers, free WiFi and printing/scanning facilities. You can also book state-of-the-art meeting rooms, with catering available.
Flying from the North Terminal? The No.1 Lounge is less business focused, but includes a quiet library area, unlimited WiFi and delay cover, too.
– Perfect power naps. If you need to recharge before your flight, head for a comfy SnoozePod in Luton’s Aspire Lounge. An upgrade from awkward neck pillows, the reclining chairs feature ambient sound and light to enable a refreshing 20-minute nap.
– A luxe workspace. The Clubrooms Lounge helps you make productive use of your departures time within a swanky setting that has the feel of a private members’ club. Send emails in the peaceful work zones while powering up your laptop or tablet for the flight.
London City Airport
– From taxi to runway. Book City Airport’s unique First Class Lounge experience and you’ll be collected from departures and whisked away to the lounge in the Private Jet Centre Facility. When it’s time for your flight, you’ll be driven to the steps of the plane like an A-lister. No queuing, no hassle, and you never have to step foot inside the terminal. From £95.
– No announcements. As the closest airport to central London, City Airport is mainly used by savvy business travellers. Its ‘silent airport policy’ means you won’t be disrupted by gate or passenger announcements over the tannoy, which is great news if you have calls to make or just prefer a quieter departures lounge.
– Upgraded lounge experience. The Skylife Lounge has recently been refurbished and expanded, so expect comfy seating, work areas, complimentary drinks and snacks, and unlimited free Wifi. Premium options include queue-jump at security, while its loyalty-card scheme guarantees the best value for regular business travellers.
Frequent business flyer? Whether it’s a crack-of-dawn start or you’re leaving straight from the office, book Gett for a fast, reliable airport transfer.